I've been using the Diva Cup for a little under a year now. It took me several months of research to actually make the decision to buy one, but now that I have I can't imagine ever using tampons again.
Having read many negative reviews, I realize that menstrual cups are really not for everyone. I've always had a very positive period experience, and I think that's one of the biggest reasons that it works for me. I like getting my period, I'm not embarrassed to talk about it or to clean my diva cup in public, blood doesn't bother me, and I don't have an obnoxiously heavy flow or experience that much pain. But I think the numerous benefits really make it worth the try if it's something that you've been considering. Here's just a few things that I love about it:
1. It's so easy to use. Maybe this is just because I had been using OB tampons prior to purchasing my Diva Cup so I'm more comfortable not using any kind of applicator and getting my hands a little bloody, but I seriously find it so easy. You just stick it up there, and you're good to go for 12 hours! It's really easy to clean, and I don't have to remember to go buy tampons every month.
2. It saves you money. I know that 40 dollars seems like a big investment, but it really isn't in the long term. The cup is meant to last 1 to 2 years, personally I feel it could last longer, but time will tell. So let's say that theoretically you would spend about 5 to 10 dollars a month on tampons and pads. That's around 90 dollars in a year, 180 in two years. That's a pretty decent amount of savings in the long run.
3. It's better for the environment. An estimated 20 BILLION plastic applicators end up in North American landfills every year. Need I say more? Also if you would like to do something about that problem, sign this petition.
4. I've learned a lot about my body. I know exactly how much blood comes out of me every cycle, and I notice the different shades of red that my blood is during different stages of my cycle. I'll be honest, I don't exactly know what this means yet, but I'm learning and I love feeling like I have a better idea of what my body is up to.
5. It's better for your health. Tampons absorb your vaginal fluid along with your blood, which can disturb your vaginas pH and bacterial balance. You know that dry vagina feeling that you get after you've been using tampons for 5 to 7 days? The Diva Cup eliminates that issue and just feels so much more natural.
6. Menstrual cups are made by people who are period positive! I like supporting companies that don't believe that women should be embarrassed by their periods. Because we shouldn't be.
While it does take a bit of getting used to, if any of these points I've mentioned strike a chord with you, I'd say it's definitely worth trying it out. If you have any questions about it, feel free to ask in the comment section and I will do my best to answer them!